Monday, July 27, 2020

Dark Places (2015)


IMDb plot summary: Libby Day was only eight years old when her family was brutally murdered in their rural Kansas farmhouse. Almost thirty years later, she reluctantly agrees to revisit the crime and uncovers the wrenching truths that led up to that tragic night.
Directed by Gilles Paquet-Brenner. Starring Charlize Theron, Nicholas Hoult, Christina Hendricks, and Tye Sheridan.

Just like when I read the book this movie was based on, I find myself captivated by the world in this story. Libby Day's story of surviving off of having her family murdered in a way where it encapsulates her whole life and doesn't let her go is to darkly fascinating to me. The mystery itself isn't that interesting or that necessary, but I'm so drawn in watching her navigate this life that feels just as starkly lost and alone as she was as a child. The ending is a little convenient for me (as I remember it being in the book) but the rest is interesting, and Charlize Theron's performance is fantastic. Pretty solid!

How it entered my Flickchart:
Dark Places > Senna
Dark Places > Victor/Victoria (1982)
Dark Places < A Little Princess (1995)
Dark Places < The Invisible Man (1933)
Dark Places < The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Dark Places < Fever Pitch (1997)
Dark Places < Woman in the Dunes
Dark Places < Crocodile Dundee
Dark Places > Hawking
Dark Places < The Bells of St. Mary's
Dark Places < Witchfinder General
Final spot: #786 out of 3181, or 75%.

No comments: