Saturday, July 25, 2020

Bowfinger (1999)


IMDb plot summary: When a desperate movie producer fails to get a major star for his bargain basement film, he decides to shoot the film secretly around him.
Directed by Frank Oz. Starring Steve Martin, Eddie Murphy, Heather Graham, and Christine  Baranski.

This is... fine. There are a couple good gags, and everyone seems to be enjoying themselves. But the premise is so great and the two stars such comic legends that I guess I was hoping for more. It's hard to pin down what doesn't quite work for me -- maybe it's that I have too empathetic a response to Eddie Murphy's anxious and paranoid lead character and didn't enjoy seeing him terrorized (and then he abruptly disappears from the end of the story, with no indication as to whether's he's been permanently traumatized by having all his worst fears appear to play out in front of him). But there are a lot of pieces of this that do definitely work. I laughed out at loud at the line, "Do you love Smashing Pumpkins?" "Are you kidding? I love doing that!" and Christine Baranski's minor character is a fun standout. It just didn't come together for me as much as I hoped it would.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Bowfinger > The Lady from Shanghai
Bowfinger < Pretty Woman
Bowfinger < Aliens
Bowfinger > Gold Diggers of 1933
Bowfinger > Is It Fall Yet?
Bowfinger < Swiss Army Man
Bowfinger < Dot the I
Bowfinger < The Gold Rush
Bowfinger > Sleepers
Bowfinger > Love Story
Bowfinger > Footlight Parade
Bowfinger < Sin City
Final spot: #1280 out of 3179, or 60%.

No comments: