Monday, June 3, 2019

Manhunter (1986)


IMDb plot summary: Former F.B.I. profiler Will Graham returns to service to pursue a deranged serial killer named "the Tooth Fairy" by the media.
Directed by Michael Mann. Starring William Petersen, Kim Greist, Joan Allen, and Brian Cox.

This is definitely a movie that made a lot of Choices. Most of them are effective, like the frequent all-white color scheme that gives us a feeling of claustrophobia, particularly in the earlier scenes with Lecktor. The soundtrack is also extremely atmospheric. However, I was much less convinced by Mann's screenplay, which feels almost ridiculously simplistic. I found myself laughing nearly every time Graham sat by himself and muttered to the killer. It's just a trope that comes across as a little silly to me even back in 1986. However, most of these quirks ended up striking me as kind of charmingly awkward rather than truly irritating, and in the end I still had a good time with the movie.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Manhunter > Gold Diggers of 1933
Manhunter < It (2017)
Manhunter > Two Weeks Notice
Manhunter > Men in Black
Manhunter < Beyond the Sea
Manhunter < Dogma
Manhunter > High Strung
Manhunter < Pushing Tin
Manhunter > Whisky Galore!
Manhunter < The Country Girl
Manhunter > The Pianist
Final spot: #899 out of 2982, or 70%.

No comments: