Sunday, June 30, 2019

Broadcast News (1987)


IMDb plot summary: Take two rival television reporters: one handsome, one talented, both male. Add one Producer, female. Mix well, and watch the sparks fly.
Directed by James L. Brooks. Starring William Hurt, Albert Brooks, Holly Hunter, and Robert Prosky.

(Spoilers.)

My non-mystery movie for June was Broadcast News (1987), Greg's #3. I really knew nothing about this movie going into it, but I really enjoyed it. It makes zero sense to me to have Holly Hunter billed third of the main cast, as she is obviously the central character. And she's a great one. She's very relatable and likable -- much more so than either of her co-stars. The dialogue to this movie is so sharp and funny, and it's the key to making a lot of this pop. I also found myself pleasantly surprised by the ending -- I had a feeling she was going to end up with William Hurt, who I pretty strongly disliked, and to see the three of them end up with their own separate lives was a much more satisfying ending than her landing with either of her male leads. I'm a little uncertain of whether it resonated with me enough to stick with me, but it was definitely a fun one-time viewing if nothing else.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Broadcast News > To Sir, With Love
Broadcast News > Zero Effect
Broadcast News < Jean de Florette
Broadcast News > Easy A
Broadcast News < Transamerica
Broadcast News > A Single Man
Broadcast News < Knights of Badassdom
Broadcast News > Captain Blood
Broadcast News < School of Rock
Broadcast News < Clue
Broadcast News < Evil
Broadcast News < True Lies
Final spot: #501 out of 2989, or 83%.

No comments: