Saturday, June 22, 2019

Burning (2018)


IMDb plot summary: Jong-su bumps into a girl who used to live in the same neighborhood as him, who asks him to look after her cat while on a trip to Africa. When back, she introduces Ben, a mysterious guy she met there, who confesses his secret hobby.
Directed by Chang-dong Lee. Starring Ah-in Yoo, Steven Yeun, Jong-seo Jun, and Soo-Kyung Kim.

This movie took me two weeks to watch. Reviews describe it with the words of a thoroughly engaging thriller: "taut," "lurid," "compelling," but every time I began watching it, it lulled me to sleep or boredom within 15 minutes, and I just couldn't summon up the will to keep watching. I'm glad I finally finished it, but it just couldn't capture my attention at any point in its 2+ hours.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Burning < The Miracle Worker
Burning > The Butterfly Effect
Burning < Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex...
Burning < From Here to Eternity
Burning < First Man
Burning < Shadow of a Doubt
Burning < Looking for Comedy in the Muslim World
Burning > Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
Burning < Mystic Pizza
Burning < Apocalypse Now
Burning < The Godfather
Burning > Hamlet 2
Final spot: #2226 out of 2985.

No comments: