Saturday, April 6, 2019

Woman in the Dunes (1964)


IMDb plot summary: An entomologist on vacation is trapped by local villagers into living with a woman whose life task is shoveling sand for them.
Directed by Hiroshi Teshigahara. Starring Eiji Okada and Kyôko Kishida.

I knew absolutely nothing about this going into it. My reaction to it is... a little torn. I love a lot of it -- it brilliantly builds this very distinct location. I could almost feel the sand watching it. And I enjoyed the process, and could see how this could be someone's favorite movie. But it never gelled with me emotionally as much as I wanted it to. More of an instance of quietly nodding and thinking, "Ah, yes, that was good," but without hitting any deeper emotional connection for me, which is surprising and kind of disappointing. I suspect it's one that will climb higher on my chart with a little distance -- we shall see.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Woman in the Dunes > Interiors
Woman in the Dunes > Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
Woman in the Dunes < Breaking Away
Woman in the Dunes < What We Do in the Shadows
Woman in the Dunes > Brave
Woman in the Dunes < Open Your Eyes
Woman in the Dunes < A Raisin in the Sun
Woman in the Dunes > La La Land
Woman in the Dunes < Dark Passage
Woman in the Dunes < The Great Race
Woman in the Dunes < Autumn Sonata
Woman in the Dunes < Deadpool
Final spot: #631 out of 2939, or 79%. That is much higher than I thought it would land, but I think I'm OK with it.

No comments: