Wednesday, April 24, 2019

The Seventh Continent (1989)


IMDb plot summary: A European family who plan on escaping to Australia, seem caught up in their daily routine, only troubled by minor incidents. However, behind their apparent calm and repetitive existence, they are actually planning something sinister.
Directed by Michael Haneke. Starring Birgit Doll, Dieter Berner, and Leni Tanzer.

(Spoilers ahead.)

...Oh my gosh.

OK, so I just watched Michael Haneke's The White Ribbon a week or so ago, and was exhausted with how slowly it moved, so when this movie began, I saw it was another Haneke film, and it seemed to be moving equally slowly, I braced myself for a rough ride. And, I mean, it was, but not at all for the reason I thought it would be. It was a rough ride because starting in act three, it just becomes ominous and horrifying with no reason at all. Wikipedia cites a real-life crime as inspiration for the film, especially the seemingly out-of-nowhere violence of it. Haneke here tries to craft a meaning or at least a spark of it, looking at the mundanity of car washes and eating cereal and moving up the corporate ladder as a sort of breaking point, but the strength lies in its terrifying finale. It kind of broke me, but in a good way. This makes me anxious to search out more Haneke in a way The White Ribbon definitely did not.

How it entered my Flickchart:
The Seventh Continent > Adam
The Seventh Continent > Zootopia
The Seventh Continent > E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial
The Seventh Continent < Take the Money and Run
The Seventh Continent < Nativity!
The Seventh Continent < Footloose (1984)
The Seventh Continent > Best in Show
The Seventh Continent > Shutter Island
The Seventh Continent < Double Indemnity
The Seventh Continent < Les Miserables in Concert (1995)
The Seventh Continent > Benny & Joon

Final spot: #331 out of 2954.

No comments: