Sunday, April 28, 2019

The Yellow Birds (2018)


IMDb plot summary: Two young soldiers, Bartle (21) and Murph (18) navigate the terrors of the Iraq war under the command of the older, troubled Sergeant Sterling. All the while, Bartle is tortured by a promise he made to Murph's mother before their deployment.
Directed by Alexandre Moors. Starring Alden Ehrenreich, Tye Sheridan, Jennifer Aniston, and Jack Huston.

A moody, dark film that I think might be trying to make a statement about war but I'm not sure what it's actually saying? But nor is it really a character piece. There are bits of this that stand out to me as compelling, but a lot of it just feels kind of muddled, and I'm unsure what I'm supposed to get out of it.

How it entered my Flickchart:
The Yellow Birds < Kicking and Screaming (1995)
The Yellow Birds < The Hoober-Bloob Highway
The Yellow Birds > War and Peace (1956)
The Yellow Birds > Sahara (2005)
The Yellow Birds > Play It Again, Sam
The Yellow Birds > City Slickers
The Yellow Birds > Bus Stop
The Yellow Birds > Animal House
The Yellow Birds > The Life of David Gale
The Yellow Birds < The Hunt
Final spot: #2226 out of 2959.

No comments: