Monday, April 1, 2019

Akira Kurosawa's Dreams (1990)


IMDb plot summary: A collection of tales based upon the actual dreams of director Akira Kurosawa.
Directed by Akira Kurosawa. Starring Akira Terao, Mitsuko Baishô, Mieko Harada, and Chishû Ryû.

I've never seen a Kurosawa I didn't like, though I was a little nervous as this one got going and I realized it was a series of fable-like dreams rather than a strong narrative. However, I shouldn't have been nervous. Kurosawa is a unbelievably compelling storyteller, even when there isn't much story to be had, and I ultimately really enjoyed this. I liked that while there were some prevailing themes throughout (particularly toward the end, with the final three all looking at man's relationship to nature), there was a lot of variety in the tone of the pieces, from sad to scary to triumphant to peaceful. This film is going to sit with me for awhile.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Akira Kurosawa's Dreams > Incredibles 2
Akira Kurosawa's Dreams > Rock of Ages
Akira Kurosawa's Dreams < E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial
Akira Kurosawa's Dreams < Shoplifters
Akira Kurosawa's Dreams > The Bells of St. Mary's
Akira Kurosawa's Dreams < Philadelphia
Akira Kurosawa's Dreams < The Goodbye Girl (2004)
Akira Kurosawa's Dreams > The African Queen
Akira Kurosawa's Dreams > The Great Race
Akira Kurosawa's Dreams > Key Largo
Akira Kurosawa's Dreams > Elf
Final spot: #620 out of 2937.

No comments: