Monday, October 13, 2014

They Came Together (2014)


IMDb plot summary: When Joel and Molly meet, it's hate at first sight: his big Corporate Candy Company threatens to shut down her quirky indie shop. Plus, Joel is hung up on his sexy ex. But amazingly, they fall in love, until they break up about two thirds of the way through.
Directed by David Wain. Starring Paul Rudd, Amy Poehler, Cobie Smulders, and Christopher Meloni.

Yikes, this movie has bad reviews, but, hey, *I* thought it was funny. I didn't know much about it when I watched it, but I giggled a lot. (I was watching it on my phone in bed and I worried I was going to wake Jacob up with how much I giggled at the line, "Oh no! I look like a chimney sweep!") Granted, there are a few jokes that REALLY, REALLY, REALLY don't work -- but only a few. The rest are either solidly funny or at least mildly entertaining. Amy Poehler and Paul Rudd are perfect for this, capturing just the right feel of all the typical rom com leads, and the many cameos work well. Granted, I'm probably the exact right audience for this, as someone who has seen a LOT of rom coms and dislikes almost all of them, so I recognized all the tropes and was delighted at the snarking of them. Where the movie works best *is* in its trope subversion. There are also some fun goofy slapstick moments, but the purely silly ones are better than the sleazy/gross ones. Overall, I enjoyed this.

3.5 stars.

Flickchart: #566 out of 2237, below Lethal Weapon and above Cannibal!: The Musical.

No comments: