Friday, October 3, 2014

Connie and Carla (2004)


IMDb plot summary: A mob mix-up in Chicago sends two chanteuses screaming for L.A., where they score a perfect gig: posing as drag queens on the dinner theater/cabaret circuit. Things get extra-weird when a guy falls for one of the girls.
Directed by Michael Lembeck. Starring Nia Vardalos, Toni Collette, David Duchovny, and Stephen Spinella.

This is the second movie from Paul's week of my movie challenge that is not a terribly good movie but I liked it. It's a sort of... Sister Act/Victor Victoria mashup, with an incredibly goofy setup, and Toni Collette is a much better actress than you'd know from watching her here, but there's a cheerfulness about this movie that makes it charming to watch anyway. And you know I can't find *too* much fault with a movie that has plenty of campy showtune performances. I absolutely loved the sequences where the gangster was falling in love with musical theater. That just made me smile. So, yes. Campy and cheesy and goofy, but surprisingly likable.

3.5 stars.

Flickchart: #785 out of 2229, which is lower than I anticipated, below Thor and above Being John Malkovich.

No comments: