Sunday, October 5, 2014

The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)


IMDb plot summary: The adventures of Gustave H, a legendary concierge at a famous hotel from the fictional Republic of Zubrowka between the first and second World Wars, and Zero Moustafa, the lobby boy who becomes his most trusted friend.
Directed by Wes Anderson. Starring Ralph Fiennes, Tony Revolori, F. Murray Abraham, and Edward Norton.

My problem with Wes Anderson is that even when I really enjoy his movies, they don't stick with me. I remember enjoying Moonrise Kingdom a lot, and it's pretty high on my Flickchart, but I can't remember why. Similarly, I know I had a lot of fun watching this one last night, and even a day afterward, it's beginning to fade from my emotional memory. That's too bad because when I really think about it, I liked this movie a lot. Ralph Fiennes is definitely the best part of this movie -- his portrayal of the character was absolutely perfect. I was also struck this time around with the colors Anderson used, something other people talk about but that never really gelled for me until this flick. I hope the film has more staying power for me than his others, but if not, I'll just have to remember that this was a really fun watch and that if I decide to rewatch it someday, I'm sure I'll enjoy it then too. In the meantime, it'll stick around in the top fourth of my Flickchart as well.

4 stars.

Flickchart: #466 out of 2230, below Carnage and above Contagion.

No comments: