Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Coriolanus (2014)


IMDb plot summary: When an old adversary threatens Rome, the city calls once more on her hero and defender: Coriolanus. But famine threatens the city, the citizens hunger swells to an appetite for change, and on returning from the field Coriolanus must confront the march of realpolitik and the voice of an angry people.
Directed by Josie Rourke. Starring Tom Hiddleston, Mark Gatiss, Hadley Fraser, and Deborah Findlay.

Whew, that is some nice work. This is not only a Shakespeare play I'm unfamiliar with, but it's also primarily about war, which could have made it very difficult for me to understand or be interested in, but thanks to the actors and director, this is not only easy to follow but incredibly relatable, and the resulting story is fascinating and powerful. Tom Hiddleston, who I was never crazy about as Loki, is really excellent in the title role, fleshing out a lot of aspects of a character that could have been played very flatly. The play's two villains are also done excellently, creating interesting and even likable bad guys. Overall, a really nicely-done show, and I'm glad they filmed it so I could see this great cast.

4 stars.

This movie has not yet been added to Flickchart. I've submitted it and will update the review when I can rank it.

No comments: