Sunday, October 5, 2014

Auntie Mame (1958)


IMDb plot summary: An orphan goes to live with his free-spirited aunt. Conflict ensues when the executor of his father's estate objects to the aunt's lifestyle.
Directed by Morton DaCosta. Starring Rosalind Russell, Roger Smith, Jan Handzlik, and Forrest Tucker.

Rosalind Russell is definitely the heart and soul of this film, making Mame not only an eccentric person, but a very warm and loving one as well, fleshing her out as a character much more than I expected. I read the novel some time ago and remembered enjoying it, and I liked the stories told here as well. I didn't care for the final scene -- it took what was a nice satisfying ending and milked it a bit too much for sentimentality -- but overall the movie is entertaining, funny, and charming. I didn't even mind its 2 1/2 hour runtime, a sure sign that they did something right. I'm glad I finally got to see this one.

3.5 stars.

Flickchart: #611 out of 2231, below Watchmen and above Source Code.

No comments: