Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Homicide (1991)

It takes me awhile to get into David Mamet. I've seen several of his films and always feel like I should like them and then somehow don't, with the exception of Glengarry Glen Ross (but that one I only liked after struggling through the play a couple times before it finally clicked). I felt like I came closer on this one than on many of his others, but something still didn't quite click for me. I kept almost liking it, but then the ending was far too abrupt for me - maybe that was part of the point, but it just didn't quite work for me. 2.5 stars.

Best Part: Joe Mantegna's character was definitely interesting to watch. When I was drawn into the movie, it was because of him.
Worst Part: Mamet's dialogue can sound either incredibly natural or incredibly stilted... and there are far too many moments in here where it sounds stilted.
FlickChart: #1037, below Hans Christian Andersen and above Maurice, which is all goofed up, because it was way better than Maurice, so something's off.

No comments: