Sunday, December 18, 2011

Beginners (2011)

Wow, the trailers for this movie lie. They make it seem like the central focus is Christopher Plummer's character coming out of the closet, when clearly this film's protagonist is Ewan McGregor's character Oliver. It's a gentler movie than the trailers imply, and a more thematically united film, and a much better one. The different stories are told in snapshots (both literally and figuratively). A moment here, a moment there, some moments repeated later in the film, yet none of it feels disjointed. It all feels connected and it is all somehow very beautiful.

I'm having trouble articulating my thoughts about this. Maybe someday I'll have pieced them together in my mind and can come back and add onto this review with coherent thoughts. For now, let's just give it 4 stars and leave it.

Best Part: I thoroughly enjoy how serious Oliver looks all the time, but then he makes very silly comments. I enjoy when people do that in real life, and I enjoy it in movies.
Worst Part: I don't know exactly where or how it happened, but there was a chunk in the middle where the film just quietly lost my interest. It came back at the end, but that's why this film hovered in the 400s of Flickchart instead of the 300s.
FlickChart: #406, below Rabbit Hole and above Guys and Dolls.

No comments: