Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Blazing Saddles (1974)

Mel Brooks is very hit-or-miss for me. The Producers is one of my all-time favorite comedies, Spaceballs is one of my all-time most hated, and I was only okay with Young Frankenstein, so I didn't know how I'd feel about this one. However, it was pretty solid. The premise was interesting, the jokes worked for me most of the time, and even though I didn't laugh out loud often, I was definitely entertained. Is it my #6 comedy of all-time like the AFI thinks it should be? No, but it was a fun one. 4 stars.

Best Part: Although I'm about to say the ending's the worst part, I did dissolve into crazy giggles during the food fight when the Hitler actor is standing on the counter madly saluting.
Worst Part: The ending got very meta and self-aware, which rubs me the wrong way. It almost worked, but not quite, and I still found myself irritated.
FlickChart: #351, below Easy A and above Philadelphia.

1 comment:

Raghav said...

The funny thing is that although most people I know love this movie, I just never really liked it that much. Maybe because I saw it much later in life.