Saturday, September 14, 2024

Next Goal Wins (2023)


IMDb plot summary: The story of the infamously terrible American Samoa soccer team, known for a brutal 2001 FIFA match they lost 31-0.
Directed by Taika Waititi. Starring Michael Fassbender, Oscar Knightley, and Kaimana.

Next Goal Wins is Taika Waititi's take on the true story of the American Samoan football team, which was a true disaster, and the outside coach they brought in to help them out of last place. If I recall correctly, this got pretty mixed reviews when it was released, but fortunately for me, Waititi's style of humor in his films is nearly identical to mine, and his particular method of mixing heart with laughter is also the exact right proportion for me, so I had a great time all the way through. I laughed a lot, and I also enjoyed how it subverted the white savior trope a bit by having the new coach's style nearly tank them in the end, and I appreciated the subplot about the trans player who is so at home in her own self and so unconditionally accepted by her teammates. It's a pleasant film that gets elevated for me by how close Waititi's storytelling sensibilities are to my own, so anyone who is less a fan of his voice probably would find it grating, but it worked for me!

How it entered my Flickchart:
Next Goal Wins > Le voyage au Groenland
Next Goal Wins > La La Land
Next Goal Wins < The People Under the Stairs
Next Goal Wins > Raya and the Last Dragon
Next Goal Wins > Le bonheur
Next Goal Wins > The Way, Way Back
Next Goal Wins < 56 Up
Next Goal Wins > It's Christmastime Again, Charlie Brown
Next Goal Wins > Ex Machina
Next Goal Wins > Into the Woods (2014)
Next Goal Wins < Christmas in Connecticut
Final spot: #529 out of 3961, or 87%.

No comments: