Saturday, October 7, 2023

The Trial (1962)


IMDb plot summary: An unassuming office worker is arrested and stands trial, but he is never made aware of his charges.
Directed by Orson Welles. Starring Anthony Perkins, Arnoldo FoĆ , and Jess Hahn.

The Trial is a film adaptation of Franz Kafka's story of a man who abruptly finds himself on trial for a crime, but nobody will tell him what he's accused of. This version is directed by Orson Welles and stars Anthony Perkins as the condemned man, although Welles plays an important supporting character. While typically surreal movies aren't my jam, this one definitely evokes a dreamlike sense of terror, at least throughout the first half. It always teases just enough clear answers that it does feel jarring and disorienting when they all just disappear, and I found that effective. The second half got deeper into the philosophy of the story and started losing my interest. But I did find myself more interested in the first portion than I anticipated, so that was a nice surprise.

How it entered my Flickchart:
The Trial < The Last Dragon
The Trial > Frantic
The Trial > For Your Consideration
The Trial > Love Me Tonight
The Trial > Kate
The Trial < The Last Castle
The Trial > A Lady to Love
The Trial < To Be or Not to Be (1942)
The Trial > The Adventures of Huck Finn (1993)
The Trial > My Girl
The Trial < Malignant
Final spot: #1982 out of 3808, or 48%.

No comments: