Tuesday, October 17, 2023

The Seagull (2022)

IMDb plot summary: The Seagull is a filmed performance of the play by Anton Chekhov, in a new version by Anya Reiss, in which a woman leaves Moscow to visit her terminally ill brother.
Directed by Jamie Lloyd. Starring Jason Barnett, Katie Buchholtz, and Emilia Clarke.

The Seagull is an Anton Chekov play considered a classic, and this version I watched was the filmed version of a production at the National Theatre in the UK. The story centers around a lake home in the country, showing us the artists who live there and visit and form connections with each other. I've never really fallen in love with the original, and I'm more interested in the artistic choices here in the abstract than I am to any of the personal aspects of the play. This production focuses entirely on the text, with the actors sitting in chairs in an empty beige box through most of the play. I've also seen Sidney Lumet's more realism-based version of this play, and neither one has really captured my interest. There are so many different things going on and so many threads to follow that I never feel like I can hold onto one of them long enough to care. 

How it entered my Flickchart:
The Seagull > Sherlock Holmes
The Seagull < Key Largo
The Seagull < The Family Man
The Seagull < The Trouble with Harry
The Seagull < 12 Angry Men (1997)
The Seagull > Broken Blossoms
The Seagull < Bonnie and Clyde
The Seagull < Beverly Hills Cop
The Seagull < The Matrix Reloaded
The Seagull > The Score
The Seagull > Mr. Nice Guy
The Seagull < Drunken Master
Final spot: #1842 out of 3815, or 52%.

No comments: