Monday, September 11, 2023

Infinity Pool (2023)

IMDb plot summary: James and Em Foster are enjoying an all-inclusive beach vacation in the fictional island of La Tolqa, when a fatal accident exposes the resort's perverse subculture of hedonistic tourism, reckless violence and surreal horrors.
Directed by Brandon Cronenberg. Starring Alexander Skarsgard, Mia Goth, and Cleopatra Coleman.

Infinity Pool is a difficult movie to describe the plot of without immediately getting into spoilers, but basically it's about a man on vacation in a foreign country who gets in trouble with the law, only to find himself drawn into a dark world of reckless cruelty. This is a movie I came to begrudgingly like after reading some analyses of it afterwards, but in the moment of watching it I found it needlessly confusing and couldn't process what I was supposed to get out of it. After letting it sit and reading other people's takes on it, it clicked a little bit more and does make me want to rewatch it with a clearer understanding of the narrative. And regardless of my negative first impression, I want to say that Mia Goth is an absolutely fascinating new actress. This was the first thing I've seen her in and while I didn't love the movie, I definitely wanted to see more of her. She's got such a uniquely charismatic look that she uses to the max in this film and kept me interested even when I wasn't drawn to the rest of the story.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Infinity Pool < The Anderson Tapes
Infinity Pool > The Killing
Infinity Pool > Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town
Infinity Pool > Take Me Out to the Ball Game
Infinity Pool < Kate
Infinity Pool < Vanya on 42nd Street
Infinity Pool > The Fox and the Hound
Infinity Pool < The Devil Wears Prada
Infinity Pool < Swing Time
Infinity Pool > Lost in America
Infinity Pool > Death on the Nile (2022)
Infinity Pool > You'll Never Get Rich
Final spot: #2105 out of 3807, or 45%.

No comments: