Saturday, September 3, 2022

The Congress (2013)

IMDb plot summary: An aging, out-of-work actress accepts one last job, though the consequences of her decision affect her in ways she didn't consider.
Directed by Ari Folman. Starring Robin Wright, Harvey Keitel, and Jon Hamm.

...What did I just watch? OK, let's see. The Congress begins with Robin Wright playing herself, agreeing to become a digitized actress. And then it's twenty years in the future and everyone's on hallucinogenic drugs that let them see each other as animated avatars. And then... it's the real world again and Robin Wright is searching for her son. This is a TRIPPY movie and I'm not at all certain that I got everything that was going on, even after looking back through Wikipedia at the plot synopsis and piecing together what happened. Even at the end, I don't quite understand what was gained by making the main character a real-life actress, as it didn't seem to be important to the narrative thread at the end. French films often go over my head in terms of how they communicate their themes, and this is definitely one of those. It has some fascinating visuals and I kind of dig the concept as a whole, I just couldn't track the story as it went and thus stopped caring. I guarantee there are a lot of people who would LOVE this though.

How it entered my Flickchart:
The Congress < Beauty and the Beast (1946)
The Congress > 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
The Congress > 10
The Congress > The English Patient
The Congress > Jack Strong
The Congress < Fatherhood
The Congress < Raffles
The Congress < 12 Monkeys
The Congress > Pokemon: The First Movie
The Congress < JFK
The Congress < Internal Affairs
The Congress < Once Upon a Time ...in Hollywood
Final spot: #1943 out of 3673, or 47%.

No comments: