Monday, September 19, 2022

My Daughter's Killer (2022)


IMDb plot summary: A father fights for decades to bring his daughter's killer to justice in France and Germany before taking extreme measures
Directed by Antoine Tassin.

My Daughter's Killer is a documentary about a man whose young daughter suddenly dies abruptly, and her father becomes convinced that her stepfather killed her, and he orchestrates an abduction to bring the stepfather from Germany to France, where he can be tried for his crimes. This feels less like a feature-length story and more like a 45-minute true crime podcast. That's not a bad thing, just a slightly different feel than I expected, and it leaves me feeling like I don't have enough to say about it. The film opens making you think it's leaning toward a much darker vigilante justice story than it ultimately is, so I started prepared to hate our main character and ended up being more sympathetic toward him than I was initially. There's just not a lot for me to comment on in this movie -- if you like this kind of story, you'll probably like this movie, and if you're iffy on them, as I am, it's fine but not spectacular.

How it entered my Flickchart:
My Daughter's Killer < Jesus Christ Superstar (2000)
My Daughter's Killer < 13 Going on 30
My Daughter's Killer > Blood Heat
My Daughter's Killer > Gosford Park
My Daughter's Killer > Speak
My Daughter's Killer > The Way We Were
My Daughter's Killer > Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
My Daughter's Killer < Christmas on the Square
My Daughter's Killer < Ice Station Zebra
My Daughter's Killer > The Thomas Crown Affair
My Daughter's Killer > Funny Face
My Daughter's Killer < The Little Drummer Boy
Final spot: #2788 out of 3686, or 24%.

No comments: