Monday, October 5, 2020

The Conjuring (2013)

IMDb plot summary: Paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren work to help a family terrorized by a dark presence in their farmhouse.
Directed by James Wan. Starring Vera Farmiga, Patrick Wilson, Lil Taylor, and Ron Livingston.

It's probably worth pointing out that despite being religious and believing in the supernatural myself, demon possession movies typically don't do much for me. They don't really tap into any of my deep-seated fears. I do startle easily, so I definitely react to jump scares or "there's definitely going to be somebody standing behind her when she looks in the mirror," but it doesn't fill me with dread. I found the scares in this one fairly by-the-book, and the characters of the Warrens to take themselves *so* seriously that I couldn't. (I laughed out loud when, apparently at the *end* of a "how to hunt demons" lecture they give, someone asks them what their job title is. Surely that would have been shared at the beginning, but I guess they couldn't come up with a way to make it make sense AND have exposition.) If this is a subgenre of horror you find compelling, this is probably a worth addition. But it's not the one to draw in genre skeptics.

How it entered my Flickchart:
The Conjuring < Downfall
The Conjuring > The Heartbreak Kid (2007)
The Conjuring < Four Weddings and a Funeral
The Conjuring > My Six Loves
The Conjuring > Millions
The Conjuring < The Inspector General
The Conjuring > It's Complicated
The Conjuring < Paint Your Wagon
The Conjuring > The Ides of March
The Conjuring < Nine (2009)
The Conjuring > Burning Annie
Final spot: #2083 out of 3228, or 35%.

No comments: