Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Cemetery Man (1994)

IMDb plot summary: A cemetery man must kill the dead a second time when they become zombies.
Directed by Michele Soavi. Starring Rupert Everett, François Hadji-Lazaro, Anna Falchi, and Mickey Knox.

This is a weird, surreal film with these little touches of bizarre black comedy, and I just did NOT grasp how this all came together or what the meaning of it was supposed to be. At first it comes across as just a quirky horror comedy, but it gets more and more surreal as it goes on -- at one point I wondered if maybe it was all in his mind or if it was trying to make some big symbolic point about life and death, and the ending did NOT help solidify that one way or the other for me. It's also a very *gross* movie, and I don't mean gore, I mean people are just always drooling and puking and that stuff gets to me more than basically anything else I can think of. I don't think I got anything out of this -- it's just bizarre and creepy and icky for no reason. Can't recommend this one.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Cemetery Man < Downfall
Cemetery Man < The Heartbreak Kid (2007)
Cemetery Man < Monkey Business (1931)
Cemetery Man > A Cinderella Story
Cemetery Man > Live a Little, Love a Little
Cemetery Man < The Good Doctor
Cemetery Man < Bang the Drum Slowly
Cemetery Man > Roger Dodger
Cemetery Man < Fist Fight
Cemetery Man > The Ant Bully
Cemetery Man < The Host (2013)
Final spot: #2911 out of 3230, or 10%.

No comments: