Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Wet Hot American Summer (2001)


IMDb plot summary: Set on the last day of camp, in the hot summer of 1981, a group of counselors try to complete their unfinished business before the day ends.
Directed by David Wain. Starring Janeane Garofalo, David Hyde Pierce, Michael Showalter, and Marguerite Moreau.

This was the one David Wain movie everyone seems to love most, but it was the least interesting to me of the ones I've seen. Some good jokes, but it only really got me laughing when it tipped into the bigger, more absurd moments. Its humor was weirdly quirky situational for much of the movie, punctuated with an occasional gigantic goofy punchline that made me wish more of the movie was like that. I think this is one that might sit better with me with time, though, and possibly a rewatch, so we'll see whether its chart location changes over time!

How it entered my Flickchart:
Wet Hot American Summer > Waxwork
Wet Hot American Summer < Brooklyn
Wet Hot American Summer > Battle of the Sexes (WHY is this so high on my chart?)
Wet Hot American Summer < Manchester by the Sea
Wet Hot American Summer < Brick
Wet Hot American Summer < The Return of the Living Dead
Wet Hot American Summer < The Light In Her Eyes
Wet Hot American Summer > Sin City
Wet Hot American Summer > The Three Musketeers
Wet Hot American Summer > Jackie
Wet Hot American Summer < The Bad Sleep Well
Final spot: #1145 out of 3114.

No comments: