Sunday, April 26, 2020

Little Women (2019)


IMDb plot summary: Jo March reflects back and forth on her life, telling the beloved story of the March sisters - four young women, each determined to live life on her own terms.
Directed by Greta Gerwig. Starring Saoirse Ronan, Emma Watson, Florence Pugh, and Eliza Scanlen.

I am very much out of the loop on this whole adoration for Greta Gerwig thing. I found her very off-putting as an actress, and my reaction to Lady Bird was not negative so much as just completely neutral. I feel similarly about Little Women. There's nothing overtly wrong with it, but none of the characters connect with me at all, and I just... can't feel anything about it. It's like Gerwig takes all these concepts and themes that I should be VERY enthusiastic about and then flattens them out so that I don't care about any of it anymore. Maybe one of these days I'll be able to pinpoint what it is about her work that makes me feel this wild disconnect, but I don't know what it is yet. Ah well. I did need to watch this and I'm glad I did.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Little Women < Plan 9 from Outer Space
Little Women > 10 Items or Less
Little Women < Mulholland Dr.
Little Women > The Heartbreak Kid (2007)
Little Women > The Little Princess (1939)
Little Women > Sex Tape
Little Women > The Spanish Prisoner
Little Women < No Country for Old Men
Little Women < Chasing Amy
Little Women > The Big Lebowski
Little Women > Charly
Little Women < Biloxi Blues
Final spot: #1967 out of 3116.

No comments: