Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Psych-Out (1968)


IMDb plot summary: A deaf runaway arrives in San Francisco's Haight-Ashbury hippie district looking for her missing brother.
Directed by Richard Rush. Starring Susan Strasberg, Dean Stockwell, Jack Nicholson, and Bruce Dern.

I'm a little surprised 1968 doesn't seem to have that many hippie movies. I guess it was early days. But that makes this kind of an interesting little time capsule. I also love that we have a deaf main character. However, I can't really figure out what this movie is trying to say aside from "Drugs are bad," and I'm not sure it's saying that terribly effectively. Some interesting pieces but doesn't hold up as well as I wanted it to.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Psych-Out < Secret Window
Psych-Out < Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging
Psych-Out > Saw
Psych-Out > There's Something About Mary
Psych-Out < The Swiss Family Robinson
Psych-Out < Shrek 2
Psych-Out < The Money Pit
Psych-Out < Meet Me in St. Louis
Psych-Out > Green Lantern
Psych-Out > Michael Clayton
Psych-Out > Hangman's Curse
Psych-Out > Out of the Past
Final spot: #2515 out of 3110.

No comments: