Saturday, March 7, 2020

The Quick and the Dead (1995)


IMDb plot summary: A female gunfighter returns to a frontier town where a dueling tournament is being held, which she enters in an effort to avenge her father's death.
Directed by Sam Raimi. Starring Sharon Stone, Gene Hackman, Russell Crowe, and Leonardo DiCaprio.

I missed the director title at first and found myself wondering early on whether I was supposed to be quite as entertained by the over-the-top broadness as I was. Turns out Sam Raimi directed it, so absolutely I was. I usually find westerns to be irritatingly samey, but the outlandishness of this murder competition, the heightened interactions between characters, and the melodramatic dialogue all combine to make a really enjoyable, very silly flick. I had so much fun.

How it entered my Flickchart:
The Quick and the Dead > Killing Season
The Quick and the Dead > The Awful Truth
The Quick and the Dead < Citizen Kane
The Quick and the Dead < Philomena
The Quick and the Dead < Hot Millions
The Quick and the Dead > It Happened One Night
The Quick and the Dead > Dust
The Quick and the Dead > Dark Passage
The Quick and the Dead < The Goodbye Girl (2004)
The Quick and the Dead > Elf
The Quick and the Dead > Akira Kurosawa's Dreams
The Quick and the Dead < Autumn Sonata
Final spot: #684 out of 3091.

No comments: