Friday, March 6, 2020

Rififi (1955)


IMDb plot summary: Four men plan a technically perfect crime, but the human element intervenes...
Directed by Jules Dassin. Starring Jean Servais, Carl Möhner, Robert Manuel, and Janine Darcey.

The first movie of my new movie challenge! I think I was expecting more of a fun vibe, and then it was definitely more noir, which I don't usually like, but it mostly worked here and I got more into the story than I expected to. I really liked how many long sections of the movie were almost entirely silent, especially during the heist. I can definitely see this film's influence on future heist films. Overall a decent movie, especially considering it's in a genre that often doesn't work for me.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Rififi > If I Forget
Rififi < The Shallows
Rififi < Mister Roberts
Rififi > Le Week-End
Rififi < Jeepers Creepers
Rififi > The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
Rififi < Hedwig and the Angry Inch
Rififi > Children of a Lesser God
Rififi > Can't Hardly Wait
Rififi > Hamlet (2009)
Rififi > Resurrect Dead: The Mystery of the Toynbee Tiles
Rififi > A Song Is Born
Final spot: #1279 out of 3088.

No comments: