Thursday, March 12, 2020

Parasite (2019)


IMDb plot summary: A poor family, the Kims, con their way into becoming the servants of a rich family, the Parks. But their easy life gets complicated when their deception is threatened with exposure.
Directed by Bong Joon Ho. Starring Kang-ho Song, Sun-kyun Lee, Yeo-jeong Jo, and Woo-sik Choi.

I still feel like I'm processing this one, even a week after watching it. It feels like there's a lot of depth to it that I haven't really retained yet. So I feel almost like I can't say much about it yet because I feel like I only scratched the surface watching it. But I like it. I was looking up reviews after this and it talked about the title and how it was ambiguous who or what in this instance was actually the parasite, which I really like - especially taking it from the point of view that capitalism itself is the parasite here, feeding off everybody's conflict. I found several scenes in this striking enough that I think that they are going to sit with me even outside the context of the movie for a long time. The scenes showing their flooding house followed by this cheery birthday party where all of them are dealing with this horrible trauma but can't express it and have to put on happy faces... it's just devastating. I find the story and the telling of it very powerful, possibly for a long time to come. I think this is one that I want to rewatch, especially since it takes such a hard left turn partway through in terms of its tone. I would be interested to rewatch it knowing that was coming.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Parasite > Bolt
Parasite > Sneakers
Parasite > Citizen Kane
Parasite < Amahl and the Night Visitors
Parasite > The Fountain
Parasite > Throne of Blood
Parasite > That Thing You Do!
Parasite > The Fly (1958)
Parasite < Fright Night (1958)
Parasite < A Charlie Brown Christmas
Parasite < The Birdcage
Parasite > District 9
Final spot: #204 out of 3094.

No comments: