Friday, March 13, 2020

Jojo Rabbit (2019)


IMDb plot summary: A young boy in Hitler's army finds out his mother is hiding a Jewish girl in their home.
Directed by Taika Waititi. Starring Roman Griffin Davis, Thomasin McKenzie, Scarlet Johansson, and Taika Waititi.

I had a really good time with this, but it lands just shy of being amazing for me and I can't put my finger on exactly why. It did a good job of mixing humor with the necessary dark moments that have to happen if you're going to tell a quasi real story set in this world. I think this is one that for me I will enjoy watching any time I happen to see it, but I didn't love it as much as I hoped I would. There's nothing wrong with it, it just didn't "wow" me. It is easily the least annoying Rebel Wilson has ever been though.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Jojo Rabbit > Bolt
Jojo Rabbit > Manhattan Murder Mystery
Jojo Rabbit < The Grapes of Wrath
Jojo Rabbit < Philomena
Jojo Rabbit > Fruitvale Station
Jojo Rabbit > Detroit
Jojo Rabbit > Ghost Town
Jojo Rabbit > The Great Gatsby (2013)
Jojo Rabbit > The Basketball Diaries
Jojo Rabbit < Four Lions
Jojo Rabbit > Sanjuro
Final spot: #584 out of 3095.

No comments: