Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Kubo and the Two Strings (2016)


IMDb plot summary: A young boy named Kubo must locate a magical suit of armour worn by his late father in order to defeat a vengeful spirit from the past.
Directed by Travis Knight. Starring Art Parkinson, Charlize Theron, Matthew McConaughey, and Rooney Mara.

This has been on my watchlist for quite some time, I just hadn't made space for it yet. It had a great beginning, with a very compelling mythology and unsettling villains. The middle section where Kubo travels with his animal companions is less compelling to me -- it veers very close to a Disney talking-animal-sidekick feeling, which I seldom connect with. But it brings it all back together in the end, and I found myself tearing up from the final villain confrontation through the end of the film. It really ties together in a very lovely way that I didn't anticipate early on in the story. Plus it looks gorgeous.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Kubo and the Two Strings > Fanboys
Kubo and the Two Strings < The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas
Kubo and the Two Strings > The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Rings
Kubo and the Two Strings > Taxi Driver
Kubo and the Two Strings > The Secret Garden (1987)
Kubo and the Two Strings > L'atalante
Kubo and the Two Strings > Do the Right Thing
Kubo and the Two Strings > Red Eye
Kubo and the Two Strings > The Hudsucker Proxy
Kubo and the Two Strings > Dangerous Liaisons
Final spot: #763 out of 3041.

No comments: