Monday, December 30, 2019

Blade Runner 2049 (2017)


IMDb plot summary: A young blade runner's discovery of a long-buried secret leads him to track down former blade runner Rick Deckard, who's been missing for thirty years.
Directed by Denis Villeneuve. Starring Ryan Gosling, Robin Wright, Ana de Armas, and Harrison Ford.

It should probably be noted I was never a huge fan of the original Blade Runner -- it dug hard into its noir inspiration, and, as with most noir, I found it to be emotionally predictable while pretending not to be. This sequel has the same problem for me. I just didn't care about anything in this world or this set up, I didn't care about Ryan Gosling, I didn't care about the evil corporation trying to make baby robots, I didn't care about the infinite chain of clues being followed to the end... It's hard to know if I would have cared more if this was an original movie and not a sequel. Probably not much, given how little I care about its predecessor, but I'm sure it didn't help.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Blade Runner 2049 < Struck by Lightning
Blade Runner 2049 < Simone
Blade Runner 2049 > Roger Dodger
Blade Runner 2049 > The Net
Blade Runner 2049 > Top Gun
Blade Runner 2049 < Albatross
Blade Runner 2049 > Facing the Giants
Blade Runner 2049 < The Great Train Robbery
Blade Runner 2049 > Analyze This
Blade Runner 2049 > Jane Eyre (1997)
Blade Runner 2049 < Rebel Without a Cause
Final spot: #2345 out of 3043.

No comments: