Sunday, December 22, 2019

Eighth Grade (2018)


IMDb plot summary: An introverted teenage girl tries to survive the last week of her disastrous eighth grade year before leaving to start high school.
Directed by Bo Burnham. Starring Elsie Fisher, Josh Hamilton, Emily Robinson, and Jake Ryan.

I had a lot of people who connected HARD to Lady Bird when it came out, seeing themselves and their relationships in hers, and falling head over heels in love with the movie. That's how I feel about Kayla in this movie. Even though social media wasn't really a thing when I was in eighth grade, I definitely had an Internet presence and was very conscious of how online I was more confident, more interesting, and more comfortable than offline. It's been a very long time since I identified so hard with a character, and seeing her step into a sense of "If things suck, it's okay, I'll be all right" was still inspiring to me as a grown adult 20 years older than her. This is a great film.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Eighth Grade > The Trouble with Harry
Eighth Grade > An American Werewolf in London
Eighth Grade > Vertigo
Eighth Grade < The Adventures of Robin Hood
Eighth Grade > The Gods Must Be Crazy
Eighth Grade < Across the Universe
Eighth Grade > Airplane!
Eighth Grade > Operation Petticoat
Eighth Grade < I'm Not Scared
Eighth Grade < Shaun of the Dead
Eighth Grade < Sister Act
Eighth Grade > Pitch Perfect
Final spot: #248 out of 3039.

No comments: