Saturday, July 27, 2019

Blackmail Is My Life (1968)


IMDb plot summary: A pungent, extremely entertaining tale of hedonistic, amoral blackmailer Matsukata.
Directed by Kinji Fukasaku. Starring Hiroki Matsukata, Tomomi Satô, Hideo Murota, and Akira Jo.

This movie went in a very different direction than I thought it would from the start. The first piece of the movie feels almost like a silly, fun heist movie about this group of young blackmailers, but then as things around them get more serious, so does the story, and we end with basically a full noir. I definitely preferred the first part of the movie, since it was something I hadn't seen before, and was a little bored by the more predictable way the story played out at the end.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Blackmail Is My Life < Descendants
Blackmail Is My Life > The Godfather
Blackmail Is My Life > Goldfinger
Blackmail Is My Life > Short Circuit
Blackmail Is My Life < Dead Man Walking
Blackmail Is My Life > Birdman of Alcatraz
Blackmail Is My Life > Teacher of the Year
Blackmail Is My Life < Anna and the King
Blackmail Is My Life < The Wailing
Blackmail Is My Life > The Cruise
Blackmail Is My Life < The Paperboy
Final spot: #1613 out of 3000.

No comments: