Saturday, July 13, 2019

42 Up (1998)


IMDb plot summary: Director Michael Apted revisits the same group of British-born adults after a 7 year wait. The subjects are interviewed as to the changes that have occurred in their lives during the last seven years.
Directed by Michael Apted.

(Spoilers.)

Just when I think, "OK, the *next* episode is going to just be more of the same," I watch it and get so involved again. Loss is a heavy theme in this one, as most of the people being filmed are starting to lose their parents at this point in their lives, but also loss of jobs and relationships. But in the midst of all this, new and exciting things are happening too. In particular I found myself delighted by Neil and Bruce's stories -- not only because they finally reached some goals they'd set for themselves earlier on, but also because I learned they'd become very good friends thanks to their participation in this documentary. That warmed my heart so much I had to pause the movie and relay this information to my husband, despite the fact that he hasn't been watching along with me and really doesn't know who any of these people are. Overall, such a great entry in the series.

How it entered my Flickchart:
42 Up > An Affair to Remember
42 Up > Zero Effect
42 Up < Jean de Florette
42 Up < The Grand Budapest Hotel
42 Up < Deadpool
42 Up < The Woodsman
42 Up > Auntie Mame
42 Up > Song of the Sea
42 Up > Gone Baby Gone
42 Up < Spotlight

Final spot: #707 out of 2994.

No comments: