Saturday, July 6, 2019

35 Up (1991)


IMDb plot summary: Director Michael Apted revisits the same group of British-born adults after a 7 year wait. The subjects are interviewed as to the changes that have occurred in their lives during the last seven years.
Directed by Michael Apted.

I've been rewatching through the Up series from the beginning, as I'd only ever gotten to 28. I remember stopping at 28 on my last watch, with the feeling that surely now most of these people would be "settled" into their lives and wouldn't deviate too much going forward. To my surprise, that wasn't entirely true. There were quite a few who had made some big changes, and one subject who had opted out of a previous entry came back to update us on where they were now. It's interesting (and a little sad) to watch people maybe now realizing that some of the goals they set for themselves are unlikely to be achieved, but also encouraging to see so many of them making the best of whatever hand they'd been dealt. I find myself strangely attached to these people now, and will hopefully be able to get caught up on the series in the near future.

How it entered my Flickchart:
35 Up > Fantastic Mr. Fox
35 Up < The Lady Vanishes
35 Up > The Theory of Everything
35 Up < Safety Last!
35 Up < The Hateful Eight
35 Up > Children of Paradise
35 Up > The Hidden Fortress
35 Up > Before Sunset
35 Up < The Killing of a Sacred Deer
35 Up > Ant-Man
35 Up > Myn Bala: Warriors of the Steppe
Final spot: #1035 out of 2991.

No comments: