Sunday, July 14, 2019

49 Up (2005)


IMDb plot summary: In 1964, to explore the adage "Give me a child until he is seven and I will give you the man," World in Action filmed seven-year-olds. Every seven years, Michael Apted visits them. At 49, 12 agree to talk about family, work, their hopes, and the series.
Directed by Michael Apted.

This is a bit more like what I've been expecting the last two entries in the series to be like. Most people to be pretty well settled in, with the changes in their lives being expected ones. It's a quieter entry than many of the previous ones, which is all right, just not one that captures my interest as much. The most interesting recurring theme here is that of the subjects' response to the documentary itself -- often a negative one. I'll be curious to see how many of them continue to participate in the next installment.

How it entered my Flickchart:
49 Up > The Recruit
49 Up < The Hudsucker Proxy
49 Up > Serenity
49 Up > Dan in Real Life
49 Up > Akira
49 Up > Thor: Ragnarok
49 Up < Peggy Sue Got Married
49 Up < Andhadhun
49 Up < The Sessions
49 Up > Porco Rosso
49 Up < Upside Down
Final spot: #839 out of 2996.

No comments: