Sunday, March 17, 2019

Major League (1989)


IMDb plot summary: The new owner of the Cleveland Indians puts together a purposely horrible team so they'll lose and she can move the team. But when the plot is uncovered, they start winning just to spite her.
Directed by David S. Ward. Starring Tom Berenger, Corbin Bernsen, Margaret Whitton, and James Gammon.

This is one of those movies that is exceptionally difficult for me to write about because it wasn't *bad* for me so much as a total nonentity. It hits so many familiar beats that I felt like I've seen this movie a hundred times before. They're all competently told, and it never really makes a misstep, but it never really steps outside the box either, and for a sports movie to win me over it really has to add something special. Not bad, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to forget it instantly.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Major League < The Misfits
Major League > The Matrix Reloaded
Major League < Hysteria
Major League < A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum
Major League < The Great Escape
Major League > In the Line of Fire
Major League > The Dinner Guest
Major League < Dr. Strangelove
Major League > Mystic Pizza
Major League < Deja Vu
Major League < On the Waterfront
Major League < Multiplicity

Final spot: #2121 out of 2928.

No comments: