Thursday, July 21, 2016

When I Walk (2013)


IMDb plot summary: In 2006, doctors told 25-year-old Jason DaSilva that he had multiple sclerosis. Jason picked up the camera, turned it on his declining body, and set out on a worldwide journey in search of healing, self-discovery, and love.
Directed by Jason DaSilva.

I admit this film held a certain personal fascination for me. As someone who has a chronic illness that sometimes limits my mobility, it was especially eerie watching the filmmaker slowly lose his ability to walk and dress himself. I like the meta-narrative here, of someone trying to make what they know will be their last movie before they fully lose their vision, but the idea of that narrative is unfortunately more interesting than the movie itself. Making such a highly personal film has to be difficult, since you still need to have the artistic objectivity to evaluate the movie on its own terms, and unfortunately that didn't quite work out here. I wish the film was better than this, but it's much flatter than the premise promises.

2.5 stars.


Not on Flickchart yet, but when it is, I will add it and update this review.

No comments: