Saturday, July 16, 2016

Paris, Texas (1984)


IMDb plot summary: Travis Henderson, an aimless drifter who has been missing for four years, wanders out of the desert and must reconnect with society, himself, his life, and his family.
Directed by Wim Wenders. Starring Harry Dean Stanton, Dean Stockwell, Hunter Carson, and Nastassja Kinski.

(Definite spoilers ahead)

This was a totally different movie than I anticipated it being... that "Texas" name made me think it was going to be much more of a western, but this is a very straightforward drama about a family that fell apart. The characters are so compelling, and each scene is fascinating to watch. My only complaint is that I wasn't quite sold on the ending. I don't know that it's a fair complaint since I can't envision what I would have preferred, but I wasn't convinced by Travis saying he needed to leave, so as beautifully shot as his departure was, I didn't buy it. Apart from that, though, this was a really interesting movie and I'm glad I finally buckled down and watched it.

3.5 stars.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Paris, Texas > Good Morning, Vietnam
Paris, Texas < Argo
Paris, Texas > A Matter of Life and Death
Paris, Texas > The Green Mile
Paris, Texas > Princess Mononoke
Paris, Texas < Don't Drink the Water
Paris, Texas < Seven Up!
Paris, Texas > A Goofy Movie
Paris, Texas < Throne of Blood
Paris, Texas > My Date With Drew
Paris, Texas > Sanjuro
Final spot: #683 out of 2480.

No comments: