Monday, February 1, 2016

Spotlight (2015)


IMDb plot summary: The true story of how the Boston Globe uncovered the massive scandal of child molestation and cover-up within the local Catholic Archdiocese, shaking the entire Catholic Church to its core.
Directed by Tom McCarthy. Starring Mark Ruffalo, Michael Keaton, Rachel McAdams, and Liev Schreiber.

This is exactly the kind of movie that I expect to win the Oscar - well-written, well-acted, well-directed, has some serious weight, a fascinating story. And I liked it, don't get me wrong, but it didn't blow me away. There are some very moving moments and it's done very capably, but it's also done in a very expected way. As such, it's not my favorite of the Best Picture nominees, but I would have no qualms whatsoever with it winning.

4 stars.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Spotlight > Happythankyoumoreplease
Spotlight < Eat Pray Love (A tough choice, and while I think Spotlight is better made, I think Eat Pray Love is going to stick with me longer.)
Spotlight > Strictly Ballroom
Spotlight > Hamlet (2009)
Spotlight > Bend It Like Beckham (BILB is almost certainly ranked too high, though it's due a rewatch.)
Spotlight > The Boondock Saints
Spotlight < Lethal Weapon (I think. I'm not certain about this one. Lethal Weapon is also due a rewatch.)
Spotlight > Oldboy (2003) (I like Spotlight better bit-by-bit but Oldboy better as a whole. For now, that means Spotlight wins.)
Spotlight > The Return of Captain Invincible
Spotlight < They Came Together
Spotlight < Cannibal!: The Musical

Final spot: #628 out of 2422.

No comments: