Sunday, February 14, 2016

Interstellar (2014)


IMDb plot summary: A team of explorers travel through a wormhole in space in an attempt to ensure humanity's survival.
Directed by Christopher Nolan. Starring Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway, Jessica Chastain, and Michael Caine.

(Spoilers.)

Interstellar has been on my radar since its release, so my husband and I finally sat down to watch it together tonight. I admire many aspects of the movie - it looks great, the post-apocalyptic dust-filled world it sets up is interesting, Matt Damon's appearance was marvelous all the way through, the way they dealt with relativity stuff was sensitive and touching - but I found the end deeply unsatisfying. It took what was set up as a serious sci-fi story and turned it into, as my husband put it, "time magic." I can suspend disbelief for time travel, but not time travel powered by love. That is just going to make me roll my eyes alllll the way back. The score, which was nominated for an Oscar, was also just *wrong* the whole way through, escalating several serious moments into accidentally hilarious melodrama.

In short, I wanted to like this and I did like parts of it a lot, but it falls apart at the end and isn't nearly as deep as it thinks it is. What happened, Christopher Nolan?

3 stars.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Interstellar > Happythankyoumoreplease
Interstellar < Eat Pray Love
Interstellar < A Separation
Interstellar > Cast Away
Interstellar > Bee Movie
Interstellar < Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken
Interstellar < The Man Who Wasn't There
Interstellar < The Revenant
Interstellar > Marathon
Interstellar < Jurassic World
Final spot: #983 out of 2431.

No comments: