Monday, February 1, 2016

Room (2015)


No IMDb plot summary because my experience was way better for having been unspoiled.
Directed by Lenny Abrahamson. Starring Brie Larson, Jacob Tremblay, Sean Bridgers, and Joan Allen.

(Spoilers.)

Ooer.

OK, let me say this right up front: I went into this movie completely blind, no idea what it was about, and so the first 30-40 minutes or so were me figuring out what exactly was even happening along with the main character. If you don't know anything about the movie, I highly suggest you stop reading now and do the same.

That being said... I LOVED this movie. The world it created for me inside this child's mind was so compelling. The film is split into two distinct parts, and I was so wrapped up in the first half of the story that when it ended, I found myself startled that it had only been an hour and we were only halfway through the movie -- it felt like a very complete story on its own. The second half of the movie, though, doesn't drag at all and instead tells the necessary second half of the saga and how the characters have to adjust or readjust to their "normal" lives.

Brie Larson and Jacob Tremblay are spectacular here, with their fascinating little world they've built together, and as their world slowly expands (in so many ways), I could not wait to see what would happen next. It's a story that doesn't get told very often, and it's told in a very unique way. This is by far my favorite of the Oscar Best Picture nominees, and even though it won't win, I would be ecstatic if it did.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Room > Happythankyoumoreplease
Room > Eat Pray Love
Room > High School Musical (Which is too high. High School Musical 2, maybe. But the first one? Nah, shouldn't be here.)
Room < Catch Me If You Can
Room > The Matrix (...This movie is soaring because it's going up against a lot of old favorites.)
Room > Chaplin
Room < The Squid and the Whale
Room > Halloween (Rated too high.)
Room > Unforgiven
Room > The Bridge on the River Kwai (Due a rewatch.)
Room < Who Am I This Time?
Final spot: #172 out of 2423. WHOA.

No comments: