Monday, February 1, 2016

Rio Bravo (1959)


IMDb plot summary: A small-town sheriff in the American West enlists the help of a cripple, a drunk, and a young gunfighter in his efforts to hold in jail the brother of the local bad guy.
Directed by Howard Hawks. Starring John Wayne, Dean Martin, Ricky Nelson, and Angie Dickinson.

Right from the start when I got assigned this movie as part of an online movie exchange I did, I was awfully curious as to whether or not this was given to me by someone who knew how tough a sell westerns are for me. Unfortunately, this is not the western that changed my mind.

Like all John Wayne movies, John Wayne is the least interesting part of it. I was drawn in by Dean Martin's character arc and found him very moving at times, and the cinematography was lovely. But as a whole, I had a really tough time keeping my interest in this movie. The main plot never caught my attention, and I found the love story frustrating. I'd happily watch a whole movie focused on Martin's character, but he really only has 15-20 minutes devoted to him here, leaving 2+ hours of things I didn't care about much.

1.5 stars.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Rio Bravo < The Kids Are All Right
Rio Bravo > The Interpreter (I suppose. I don't remember Interpreter, but I think I found it boring.)
Rio Bravo < Deja Vu
Rio Bravo < Bounce
Rio Bravo < The Children's Hour
Rio Bravo > The Enemy Below
Rio Bravo > Seasons of the Heart
Rio Bravo < House of Games
Rio Bravo < Sharknado (...I'm sorry. But Sharknado was so much more entertaining.)
Rio Bravo > Larry Boy and the Rumor Weed
Rio Bravo < Quigley Down Under (A western someone tried to get me to like during my movie challenge. It just barely wins.)
Final spot: #1758 out of 2424.

No comments: