Sunday, February 1, 2015

Three Colors: Blue (1993)


IMDb plot summary: A woman struggles to find a way to live her life after the death of her husband and child.
Directed by Krzysztof Kieslowski. Starring Juliette Binoche, Benoît Régent, Florence Pernel, and Charlotte Véry.

I like what this film is trying to do, but it doesn't work for me all the way through. The music is really amazing, and I was very drawn into the first half of the film -- it does a great job of showing the grief and the sadness of our main character -- but I wasn't entirely convinced of the resolution. I found myself more and more disconnected from her until I lost touch with her completely. Not only was I uncertain of the facts of the film's ending, but I also was not emotionally satisfied. Like Red, I admired it and wanted to like it but it never quite gelled with me.

3 stars.

How it entered my Flickchart:
Blue > The Madness of King George
Blue < Children of Men
Blue < Kiss the Girls
Blue > Runaway Jury
Blue > Badlands
Blue < Seeking a Friend for the End of the World
Blue < All That Jazz
Blue < Downfall
Blue > The Hangover
Final spot: #934 out of 2312.

No comments: