Tuesday, February 17, 2015

The Last Five Years (2014)


IMDb plot summary: Based on the musical, a struggling actress and her novelist lover each illustrate the struggle and deconstruction of their love affair.
Directed by Richard LaGravenese. Starring Anna Kendrick and Jeremy Jordan.

Well, I have been waiting for this for quite some time, and I'm delighted to say that it met all my expectations.

Did I love everything in the movie? No. But neither would most theatrical productions of this show -- or any show. What the movie does right is deliver solidly acted and sung performances from its leads. The music is intact, with very little changed and nothing cut entirely (the show's short enough as is, cutting anything would be ridiculous).

I've written a long piece over at Flickchart about how the movie does in comparison to the original stage show and how the shift to film changes the story's structure. You can check out my full thoughts on it there, but the TL;DR version is something like "it's less focused but showcases interactions better, so I don't think it's bad, just different."

Overall, really solid. There are a few songs that got to me in a way that they never had before (specifically "The Schmuel Song," "A Part of That," and "If I Didn't Believe In You"). I'm glad this finally exists and that I finally got to see it.

5 stars.

How it entered my Flickchart:
The Last Five Years > My Best Friend's Wedding
The Last Five Years > Children of Men
The Last Five Years > Another Woman
The Last Five Years > Jerry Maguire
The Last Five Years > Billy Elliot
The Last Five Years < American Beauty
The Last Five Years > Lost in Translation
The Last Five Years > Rent
The Last Five Years < 12 Angry Men
The Last Five Years > Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
Final spot: #42 out of 2319.

No comments: