Sunday, February 8, 2015

L'Atalante (1934)


IMDb plot summary: Newly married couple Juliette and a ship captain Jean struggle through marriage as they travel on the L'atalante along with the captain's first mate Le père Jules and a cabin boy.
Directed by Jean Vigo. Starring Michel Simon, Dita Parlo, Jean Dasté, and Gilles Margaritis.

(Spoilers.)

While I definitely didn't fall in love with this movie -- I found the leads a little too unlikable -- I liked what it was trying to do. It's a simple little story of a new marriage and all the trials and tribulations that came along with it. It vaguely reminded me of Sunrise, one of my 28 Days of Romance movies two years ago, in its simplicity, although I was much more taken by that story of redemption. Here everything is wrapped up a little too quickly, and though I was happy to see the lovers reunite, I still found myself uneasily thinking, "They better not get too comfortable. Their problems are far from over."

2.5 stars.

How it entered my Flickchart:
L'atalante > The Madness of King George
L'atalante < Sleeping Beauty
L'atalante < The Silver Chair
L'atalante < Runaway Jury
L'atalante > Sex Tape
L'atalante < Mrs. Doubtfire
L'atalante < Kung Fu Panda
L'atalante < Father of the Bride Part II
L'atalante < Judgment at Nuremberg
L'atalante > Chasing Amy
L'atalante < Inside Llewyn Davis

Final spot: #1083 out of 2317.

No comments: