Thursday, February 26, 2015

The Baby-Sitters Club (1995)


IMDb plot summary: Seven junior-high-school girls organize a daycare camp for children while at the same time experiencing classic adolescent growing pains.
Directed by Melanie Mayron. Starring Schuyler Fisk, Bre Blair, Rachael Leigh Cook, Larisa Oleynik, and Tricia Joe.

Admittedly, I watched this entirely out of nostalgia. I read all the books our library had in the series when I was in middle school, and even though I haven't picked up the books in years, I was surprised by how many of the characters and storylines I still remembered. What I had forgotten (or hadn't realized would work) was how likable and relatable these characters are. This is really a very diverse cast of characters, with lots of personalities so that every girl who read these would have something to relate to. That carries over here.

This is clearly a kids' movie -- everything is wrapped up very neatly and there are some very cheesy resolutions -- but the characters at the heart of it are still so likable that it made me go, "Oh, yeah, that's why I read the whole series." There's some excellent casting here, too, especially given that most of the characters are 13 or younger and children actors are tricky. Schuyler Fisk as Kristy particularly stands out.

It's fluffy and light and clearly meant for pre-teen girls... but it wasn't at all an unpleasant visit to my past.

2.5 stars.

How it entered my Flickchart:
The Baby-Sitters Club < Last Action Hero
The Baby-Sitters Club > Short Circuit
The Baby-Sitters Club > No Country for Old Men
The Baby-Sitters Club > Ice Station Zebra
The Baby-Sitters Club < The Big Lebowski
The Baby-Sitters Club > Disturbia
The Baby-Sitters Club < Mystic River
The Baby-Sitters Club < Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby
The Baby-Sitters Club > Life of Pi
The Baby-Sitters Club > Adventures in Babysitting
The Baby-Sitters Club > L.A. Confidential
Final spot: #1265 out of 2329. I really like that it ALMOST ended up right next to Adventures in Babysitting. I guess I like all baby-sitting movies about the same.

No comments: